SCHOOL FAST FACTS
- School Contact Information
- School Hours
- Grades Served
- After School Programming
- PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program
Named after the pioneering co-founder of Sesame Workshop, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program provides a distinctive educational experience within a playfully rich and cognitively demanding learning environment. The Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program builds upon the research from the federally-funded Ready to Learn initiative from 2005-2010, which measured the impact of educational programming, including Sesame Street episodes, on children's science and literacy skills by demonstrating the effect of media targeted at socio-emotional development.
PrePrep is a co-ed program for 4-year-olds, and is hosted within Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School. PrePrep scholars automatically matriculate into Girls Prep Bronx or Boys Prep Bronx Elementary Schools for kindergarten.
See our feature on NPR below:
The Pre-K curriculum fulfills and surpasses the requirements of New York State’s Pre-School Foundations for the Common Core (“PKFCC”). Students benefit from a curriculum that offers the right balance of joyful play, curiosity, and self-control, while also placing equal emphasis on character development (such as resiliency, optimism, determination, and gratitude), college awareness, and cognitive rigor across academic disciplines.
PURPOSE OF CONTENT-RICH MATERIAL IN PRESCHOOL:
- increase vocabulary
- enhance background knowledge to promote deeper learning
- accelerate children’s grasp of language and numeracy
- cultivate habits of mind conducive to inquisitive learning and successful social interaction.
Unique program elements:
- The program includes curated content from Sesame Workshop’s vast media library that uses engaging characters to develop critical behaviors like self-regulation. This includes, for example, the new Cookie Monster series of videos that help children learn the behavioral strategies necessary to manage emotions, navigate friendships, cope with stressful situations and improve executive function tasks, such as impulse control, working memory, focusing and shifting attention.
- In its first year, we received support from an executive at Sesame Workshop to identify new ways to use children’s media to enhance learning in the classroom, engage families in creating a rich literacy environment at home, and provide early childhood Professional Development for faculty.
WELCOME FROM THE PRINCIPAL
I deeply appreciate all of the warm messages of welcome that received from families, and I am inspired by your passion and enthusiasm. I hope you continue to find our student centered learning community to be warm and caring while maintaining high expectations for our girls and boys as they continue on their path to college completion.
We are guided in our work by our North Star to College Completion. As you enter our school building and visit classrooms, the office, the library or even the cafeteria, you will see a reflection of this mission. The five points on our North Star are character development, academic achievement, family and scholar satisfaction, organizational stability and staff engagement, and college knowledge.
- Character Development- you will see our students participate in programs such as Second Step, share in experiences like morning and unity meetings and explore in a Mindfulness and Yoga class.
- Academic Achievement- we are committed to provide our students with a joyful and rigorous academic experience. Student thinking will be pushed through learning experiences in guided reading, close reading, CGI, and Math Investigations. In addition, we have compartmentalized Math instruction in upper grades and Science in all grades.
- Family and Scholar Satisfaction- our families are our cornerstone and are supported through home visits to start the year, regular Chat ‘n Chews with the principal, regular calls from teachers and annual events such as the Welcome Back Potluck and the Gratitude Luncheon.
- Organizational Stability and Staff Engagement- we value and support our amazing educators through team building activities, high quality professional development and clear coaching structures.
While college completion is our long term vision, providing a joyful and rigorous educational experience in partnership with our families is our immediate calling. We look forward to welcoming all our scholars for the 2017-2018 school year!
Tomasz Krzyzostaniak, Principal