Public Prep is a nonprofit organization that develops high-quality Universal Pre-Kindergarten and single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and evidence-based instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
We are comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses that are open enrollment and can only be entered via a random lottery. Our schools and their campuses include:
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, the first all-girls charter school in New York City, founded in 2005. (Serving grades K-4)
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle, founded in 2009. (Serving grades 5-8)
- Girls Prep Bronx Elementary, founded in 2009 and supports PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program. (Serving grades PreK-5)
- Girls Prep Bronx Middle, founded in 2014. (Serving grade 6-8)
- Boys Prep Bronx Elementary, the first and only all-boys public charter school in the Bronx, founded in 2014. (Serving grades K-3)
Our model recognizes the significance of starting early in building the self-expectation in students that they will attend and complete college and of providing a strong foundation to help get them there. Our content-rich interdisciplinary curriculum ensures students obtain knowledge, skills, and vocabulary related to English Language Arts, mathematics, history, geography, science, foreign language, and the arts. Furthermore, our schools aim to develop our students’ work habits and individual talents by integrating the visual arts, music, and athletics into our curriculum.
Everything we do is designed to ensure students are prepared to graduate into New York City's top performing independent, parochial, and public schools in order to ensure they continue along the path to college completion. To learn more about our High School Admissions process, click here.