Public Prep is the nation’s only non-profit network that exclusively develops exceptional, tuition-free PreK and single-sex elementary and middle public schools. We are determined to graduate 8th grade scholars who thrive in “right-fit,” high-performing public, private, or parochial high schools, and ultimately earn a degree from a four-year college or university.
We are comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses that are open enrollment and can only be entered via a random lottery. Our schools and their campuses include:
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, the first all-girls charter school in New York City, founded in 2005. (Serving grades K-4)
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle, founded in 2009. (Serving grades 5-8)
- Girls Prep Bronx Elementary, founded in 2009 and supports our coed PreK program, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program. (Serving grades PreK-5)
- Girls Prep Bronx Middle, founded in 2014. (Serving grade 6-8)
- Boys Prep Bronx Elementary, the first and only all-boys public charter school in the Bronx, founded in 2014. (Serving grades K-4)
At Public Prep, Girls Prep and Boys Prep scholars are challenged to think and work hard every day. We start early with the end of college completion in mind. We create a warm and joyful culture of rigor in which scholars build strong character by adopting the core values of community, merit, responsibility, and scholarship. Our scholars master the ability to read, write, listen, speak, create, and think deeply across disciplines, with a particular focus on science, the arts, and math. They work independently and in teams to solve problems collaboratively.
Girls Prep or Boys Prep alumni will be resilient young scholars of bold intellect. They will be empathetic leaders, knowledgeable and curious about the world. They will be goal-oriented decision-makers empowered to make choices that will lead to life success.
Everything we do is designed to ensure students are prepared to graduate into New York City's top performing independent, parochial, and public schools in order to ensure they continue along the path to college completion. To learn more about our High School Admissions process, click here.