2015 Applications are now available!
Mail: Attn: Student Recruitment, 291 Broadway, Suite 1202, New York, NY 10007
We give sibling, district, NYCHA, and at-risk preference to applicants who qualify. Please read below for more information.
Public Prep schools gives enrollment preference to students with siblings enrolled in the Public Prep school to which they are applying. Applicants will be considered siblings if they share at least one biological parent, share a legal guardian, or live in the same household. To be entered into our lottery for the 2015-16 school year, proof for this preference must be submitted by April 1, 2015.
The following documents can be submitted as proof for sibling preference:
- Proof for biological sibling preference can include: Birth Certificate or Certificate of Adoption and Lease or Utility Bill
- Proof for two families that live in the same household and wish to receive sibling preference for non-biological “siblings” must submit a Birth Certificate or Certificate of Adoption and a Lease or Utility Bill and a notarized letter stating that the parent on the birth certificate lives at the address on the lease
The following documents can be submitted as proof of address for district preference:
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident's name issued by National Grid, Con Edison, or the Long Island Power Authority; must be dated within 60 days
- Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), City Housing Authority, Human Resources Administration (HRA), the Administration for Children's Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor indicating the resident's name and address; must be dated within the past 60 days
- An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence
- A current property tax bill for the residence
- A water bill for the residence; must be dated within the past 60 days
- Official payroll documentation from an employer such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt; a letter on the employer's letterhead will not be accepted; must be dated within the past 60 days
NYCHA Housing Preference:
Students who reside in approved NYCHA Housing Developments will be awarded "NYCHA" preference at the time of the lottery. For a list of approved NYCHA Housing Developments for each school, please see our FAQs.
Students who meet the "at-risk" criteria will be awarded an "at-risk" preference at the time of the lottery. The at-risk designation will be determined based on whether the applicant meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Family income is sufficiently low that the family resides in one of the named New York City Housing Authority buildings
- It has previously been determined that the applicant qualifies for FRPL
- The applicant meets the requirements for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ("SNAP"), also known as food stamps
- The applicant meets the requirements for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families ("TANF") program
- The family income is equal to or less than the income levels necessary to qualify for FRPL, SNAP, or TANF
- Proof of Head Start participation
All documentation for sibling, district, NYCHA, or at-risk preferences must be submitted by April 1, 2015. All documents should have the student's name as well as the school and grade you are applying to in the top right corner. You can submit these documents:
via email: Enroll@publicprep.org
via fax: (212)346-9096 Attn: Student Recruitment
in person: You can drop off your proof at any of our currently open schools
by mail: Public Prep Network, 291 Broadway, Suite 1202, New York, NY 10007