Following the North Star of College Completion, Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary School commits to college graduation for every student. Starting in kindergarten, we prepare scholars with the skills they will need to effectively chart a course towards college completion and beyond.
The Girls Prep curriculum includes explicit coursework aimed to build College Knowledge: an understanding of what will be required of them when applying to and attending college, as well as developing a self-expectation of college completion in each scholar.
College Knowledge Coursework
- In all grade levels, our curriculum encourages students to develop time management, goal-setting, decision making, and other skills critical to college success.
- The school calendar includes school-wide celebrations of achievements and character traits essential for college completion.
- Girls Prep hosts an annual College & Career Week in May. Family members, community leaders, and staff connections present to students about their college and career experiences and the steps they took to get where they are today.
- Girls Prep students in all grades step foot on at least one college campus each year.
- As a culmination of their elementary school experience, Girls Prep fourth graders go on an overnight trip to cities such as DC and Philadelphia, where they visit multiple college campuses.
Setting the Self-Expectation of College Completion
- Public Prep contributes $50 annually for every Girls Prep scholar who opens a tax-exempt NY529 College Savings Account.
- Students sign a “Commitment to College Completion” certificate during annual home visits which outlines the expected behaviors aligned to our core values of scholarship, merit, sisterhood, and responsibility that will help set them on the path to college completion.
- Students learn about their classroom Namesakes, the influential women for whom their classrooms are named, and how college fit into their lives’ journeys. These women serve as role models for our students to relate to, admire, and study.