COVID-19 Preparedness and Communications
Public Prep Families,
Public Prep Network is monitoring the outbreak of COVID-19, a respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus. Our top priority is always the safety, health, and well-being of our community members. Our continued attention and response to this public health situation, at the local to international levels, is informed by governmental, professional, and medical guidelines.
This website will be updated regularly with Public Prep community updates and resources on this evolving situation.
PUBLIC PREP COMMUNITY UPDATES
- NYC DOE School Foods: Starting on Monday, March 23rd, grab and go meals will be available at 400 sites across the city between 7:30am - 1:30pm. Any students 18 and younger may go to any site to receive 1 breakfast and 2 lunches. To find a location closest to your home, click here.
- Red Rabbit: The Boys Prep food service provider will also be distributing meals at the following times at the following locations: [UPDATED TIMES AS OF 3/30]
- Boys Prep (192 E. 151st Street): 10:30am - 10:50am
- Girls Prep Bronx Middle (890 Cauldwell Avenue): 11:00am - 11:20am
- Girls Prep Bronx Elementary (681 Kelly Street): 11:30am - 11:50am
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary (442 E. Houston): 12:15pm - 12:45pm
Additional City Resources:
Please notify Public Prep via Closures@publicprep.org if you do not have internet or WiFi connectivity. Cable and Telephone companies are working to open up enhanced data and hotspot capabilities as well as free or discounted internet packages for families that need connectivity.
Public resources on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control
- Centers for Disease Control Travel Health Notices
- World Health Organization
- New York City Department of Health
- NYC DOE COVID-19 Communication Hub
- NYC HHS Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): What You Need to Know
- State University of New York: Health Alert
- NYC DOE Learn At Home Resources
TALKING TO SCHOLARS ABOUT COVID-19
Below are some guidelines and resources that might be helpful for you in approaching conversations about COVID-19 with your children:
- Hand Washing: A Family Activity. A CDC resource that provides ways to prevent the spread of germs and keep kids and adults healthy.
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus. NPR created this student-friendly comic that explains the facts and busts myths about COVID-19.
- Talking to Teens and Tweens About Coronavirus. A helpful resource from the New York Times featuring advice on how parents can help adolescents get the facts straight and be prepared.
- Speaking Up Against Racism Around the New Coronavirus. This article addresses the bias associated with COVID-19, and why it is important for us to have these conversations.
- When Xenophobia Spreads Like A Virus. NPR asked their listeners about experiencing coronavirus-related racism and xenophobia.
- Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks. A resource about how to identify stress related to Coronavirus.