PREP for Public Prep: School Readiness Resources
Welcome, new families! We know that starting a new school is overwhelming in normal circumstances, and these feelings are more enhanced amidst our current circumstances. We hope that this page can provide resources to ensure you and your scholar feel prepared for day 1 of the 2020-21 school year — whatever that may look like! Continue to check back as we update with new resources.
SCHOOL CULTURE PREP
Since our inception, Public Prep has prioritized cultivating what is now popularly called a “growth mindset” within our students. We focus on the whole child and aim to build character-based strengths such as resilience, determination, initiative, perseverance, gratitude, empathy, and optimism to help our scholars overcome the inevitable hurdles encountered in life.
LEARN OUR CORE VALUES
PRACTICE THE PUBLIC PREP CHEER
Who do you think you are? I’m already a Superstar!
I strive for the best, better than good, for scholarship, merit and [Sisterhood/Brotherhood]!
I always go beyond and above, showing my trust, wisdom, and love.
What will I do with all this knowledge? I’ll take it with me when I go to college!
Some say I can’t, but I know I can. My work lifts me up, and you hold my hand!
LISTEN TO THESE MESSAGES FROM SOME OF OUR CLASSROOM NAMESAKES
- Simone Biles: PrePrep at Girls Prep LES Elementary
- Jill Abramson: 3rd Grade at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary
- Brenda Berkman: Kindergarten at Girls Prep LES Elementary
- Josie Carbone: Kindergarten at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary
- Majora Carter: 1st Grade at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary
- Alicia Graf Mack: Dance Class at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary
Take a look at the resources below to stay engaged in learning over the summer. Remember to read EVERY DAY!
TUNE IN TO OUR READ ALOUDS
- Hank's Big Day, Read by PrePrep Teacher Ms. Lee
- Animals At Home, Read by PrePrep Teacher Ms. Lee
- Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, Read by Principal K
- The Snowy Day, Read by Principal K
- Where the Wild Things Are, Read by Principal K
- The Gruffalo, Read by Principal K
- Every Time I Climb a Tree, Read by 4th Grade Teacher Ms. Sacks
- Mummies and Pyramids: Chapter 1, Read by 4th Grade Teacher Ms. Sacks
- Rathers, Read by Ms. Sacks, Ms. Mintzer, Ms. Love, Mr. Ali, Mr. Ferguson and Mr. K
FREE ONLINE ENRICHMENT
NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Public Prep is excited to partner with the New York Public Library (NYPL) to provide resources for independent reading and additional summer learning. We encourage you to browse the materials below in order to maximize FREE resources this summer!
ACCESS FREE NYPL RESOURCES
Watch the videos below to 1) receive your FREE digital library card, and 2) access TrueFlix, an online resource that helps students hone literacy skills, build knowledge of subject-area content, and cultivate 21st Century skills through the inquiry process. TrueFlix includes a rich variety of non-fiction texts you can access at any time, without having to place a hold.
PUBLIC PREP - NYPL FAMILY WEBINARS
If you missed the Public Prep and NYPL family webinars in June, watch the recordings below!