Enrollment is now closed for the
2019 Summer Reading Program
In Partnership with
Accepted to the Summer Reading Program? Here are important next steps.
1) To secure your child's seat, the $50 deposit is due by Friday, May 24. Click here to pay the deposit.
2) Each student will receive 2 summer school t-shirts to wear on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. If you want more summer school shirts, you can buy more here.
3) The final $150 payment is due by June 26. You can pay here.
- July 8 - August 2 • Monday – Friday • 7:40 am – 4:00pm
Locations & Grades Served
- Boys Prep Bronx (Current Girls Prep Bronx and Boys Prep Bronx scholars K-5):
- 192 E 151st Street, Bronx, NY 10451
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary School (Current scholars K-4):
- 442 E Houston Street, New York, NY 10002
Important Deadlines (Updated)
- Online Application Opens: March 29th, 2019
- Acceptance Notifications:
Starting April 19th, 2019April 26th, 2019
- $50 Deposit Due:
May 17th, 2019May 24th, 2019
- Remaining $150 Payment Due By: June 26th, 2019
- Online Application Closes May 24th, 2019
Who Should Apply
Space is limited. We are not able to offer a seat to every student who applies.
This program was developed for students who are struggling readers. There are limited seats at each location. Students who are in need of additional reading support will receive priority when seats are being offered.
- Impact of Summer Reading Program
- Program Components
- Program Info
- Program Cost
- Contact Info
For many scholars, summer vacation can be a time of academic and behavioral loss. In the absence of structured cognitive and enrichment experiences, scholars can lose 2-3 months reading achievement each summer and begin the next academic year at a learning deficit. Last summer, our Girls Prep and Boys Prep “Springboard” scholars achieved a reading gain of two months instead of losing three! By training parents/guardians and teachers to collaborate, our Springboard program puts kids on a trajectory to close the reading achievement gap by 4th grade.
- Home visits: Before programming, teachers visit the homes of their 15 students to build parent buy-in and lay the foundation for a strong partnership.
- Instruction: Teachers conduct daily, half-day literacy instruction with students grouped by reading level rather than grade level.
- Family Workshops: Teachers lead weekly workshops that train parents on how to pick a book on their child’s reading level and what to do before, during, and after reading.
- Coaching: Springboard hires a Site Leaders at every school, typically from within. The Site Leader leads differentiated groups of teachers through a 5-week coaching cycle to ensure that every classroom reaches the finish line while teachers improve their practice.
- Learning Bonuses:
- Every child that completes the program will get four additional books to add to their home library;
- Every child that meets her/his reading goal and has an adult family member/caregiver attend all 4 family workshops gets a backpack full of school supplies plus incentive #1.
- Every child that moves up one full reading level and has an adult family member/caregiver attend all 4 family workshops will get a tablet computer loaded with reading software plus incentives #1 and #2.
- Teachers will lead four mandatory family workshops.
- Parent/Guardian(s) are required to attend a workshop each Wednesday from 7:45am to 8:45am
- Workshops will cover: how to help your child figure out tricky words, read like a storyteller, and better understand stories
- Dress code includes your adult Springboard t-shirt
- Note: Additional incentives are awarded based on family member attendance at these workshops and your child's reading growth in the program.
All students will receive two summer school t-shirts and one Springboard shirt
- Students are expected to wear summer school t-shirts every day EXCEPT for Wednesdays, on which students should wear Springboard t-shirts to class
- Guardians are expected to also wear their Springboard t-shirts to Wednesday evening workshops
- Students are asked to wear pants (no dress or skirts) daily because of afternoon activities
- Athletic shoes should be worn daily
Home Visits: June 26 - July 5
- Ready Week: July 1 - 3
- Program Dates: July 8 - August 2 • Monday – Friday • 7:40 am – 4:00pm
- Late pick-up fee is $1/minute after 4:30 PM
- Breakfast and lunch are provided Mondays thru Fridays
After School Activities:
Chess, Sports, Arts and Crafts, Robotics, Cooking, Dance
For each child who enrolls, pays the program fee, and has perfect attendance, Public Prep will donate $100 into their New York State 529 College Savings Plan as a contribution to the financial plans you have already established to send your children to college!
Payment will be due upon acceptance to the program.
The Summer Reading Program application is now closed.
Submission of an application does not guarantee program admission. Following the application submission, notification will be sent to all applicants regarding admission status. Payment is due upon acceptance.