SUMMER READING PROGRAM IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
For many scholars, summer vacation can be a time of academic and behavioral loss. In the absence of structured cognitive and enrichment experiences, scholars can lose 2-3 months reading achievement each summer, and begin the next academic year at a learning deficit. Last summer, our Girls Prep and Boys Prep scholars that participated in Springboard, replaced what could have been a 3-month reading loss with more than a two-month reading gain. By training parents and teachers to collaborate, Springboard puts kids on a trajectory that closes the reading achievement gap by 4th grade.
- Home visits: Before programming, teachers visit the homes of their 15 students to build parent buy-in and lay the foundation for a strong partnership.
- Instruction: Teachers conduct daily, half-day literacy instruction with students grouped by reading level rather than grade level.
- Family Workshops: Teachers lead weekly workshops that train parents on how to pick a book on their child’s reading level and what to do before, during, and after reading.
- Coaching: Springboard hires a Site Leaders at every school, typically from within. The Site Leader leads differentiated groups of teachers through a 5-week coaching cycle to ensure that every classroom reaches the finish line while teachers improve their practice.
- Learning Bonuses:
- Every child that completes the program will get four additional books to add to their home library;
- Every child that meets her/his reading goal and has an adult family member/caregiver attend all 5 family workshops gets a backpack full of school supplies plus incentive #1.
- Every child that moves up one full reading level and has an adult family member/caregiver attend all 5 family workshops will get a tablet computer loaded with reading software plus incentives #1 and #2.
- Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School: 681 Kelly Street, Bronx, NY 10455
- Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary School: 442 Houston Street, New York, NY 10002
- When: July 9 – August 10 • Monday – Friday • 7:30am – 4:00pm; Breakfast and lunch are provided. The afternoon program will consist of games and activities, including soccer and Chess in the Schools.
- Who: The program is now open to any current or incoming rising Kindergarten-rising 4th grade Girls Prep or Boys Prep scholar.
- Parent Involvement: Teachers will lead five family workshops. They will teach you how to help your child figure out tricky words, read like a storyteller, and better understand stories. Additional incentives are awarded based on family member attendance at these workshops and your child's reading growth in the program.
The cost is $200 per student for the five-week program. If your scholar enrolls and has perfect attendance, Public Prep will donate $100 into their New York State 529 College Savings Plan, to continue to help in the financial plans you have established to send your children to college.
A separate application must be completed for each scholar. Submission of an application does not guarantee program admission. Following the application submission, notification will be sent to all applicants regarding admission status. Payment is due upon acceptance.
If you are applying to the program at Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, email LowerEastSideSummer@publicprep.org
If you are applying to the program at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary, email BronxSummer@publicprep.org
APPLY NOW BY COMPLETING THE BELOW FORM:
Payment can be made upon application to the program through this form.
If you wish to submit payment upon official acceptance to the program, a notification with payment options will be emailed.