Girls Prep Bronx Wins New Auditorium Through Participatory Budgeting Process
(Monday, May 21, 2018) In a packed auditorium, Council Member Salamanca announced this year's Participatory Budgeting winners. Participatory Budgeting (PB) is a democratic process in which community members directly decide how to spend $1 million of the city council’s budget. This year, 1,945 District 17 residents voted on 16 projects they wanted to see funded in the community. The winners are:
- Girls Prep Bronx Elementary/M.S. 302X Auditorium Renovations, $600,000
- Casita Maria Educational Kitchen Space, $50,000
- Hunts Point Recreation Center Upgrades, $100,000
- Bronx Charter School for the Arts Technology new technology and classroom upgrades, $150,000
- M.S. 424X Stairs Lighting, $100,000
This year marks the second year in a row that Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School is the winning recipient of the PB process. Last year Girls Prep/M.S. 302X received 700 votes to win $500,000 to build a playground on school grounds.
These results are proof of the power of parents and the ability to bring change through community advocacy.