- Grades Served
- School Contact Information
- School Hours
- After School Programming
- Community Council
- PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program
- Address: 1025 Morrison Avenue, Bronx, NY 10472
- Phone: 718-328-5684
- Address: 1695 Seward Avenue, Bronx, NY 10473
- Phone: 718-860-8774
- Fax: 718-860-8777
Boys Prep Bronx is creating its own 80,000-square-foot building in the heart of the South Bronx, which will be the first and only all-boys PreK-8 public school in the Bronx and serving nearly 1,000 scholars at capacity. This facility will open in the 2018-2019 school year to serve grades PrePrep-5, and will grow a grade each year until it reaches capacity at 8th grade. The future building is located at 192 East 151st Street, convenient from the 2, 4, and 5 trains. Learn more here.
For the 2017-18 school year, bus service eligibility is determined on the basis of the student's grade level and the distance between the student's residence and school. For more information, please visit www.optnyc.org/ServicesAndEligibility/getransportation.htm.
Boys Prep also provides student Metrocards, provided by the NYC Department of Education. For more information, please visit this page.
Boys Prep will not provide bus transportation starting in the 2018-19 school year due to the new facility's convenient location. The future home of Boys Prep Bronx will be 192 East 151st Street, convenient from the 2, 4, and 5 trains as well as the BX 1, 2 and 19 bus.
The Community Council is a vibrant family-run organization that exists to give families and staff a unified voice in the school. All families are members of the Community Council and are expected to volunteer for at least two hours during the school year. Community Council officer elections are held at the end of each school year for the following school year.
The Boys Prep Elementary School Community Council Executive Board includes:
- President: Danielle Edwards - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President for Upper Campus: Zulma Melendez Bartlette - bpccvicepresidentupper@
- Secretary: Zulma Melendez Bartlette - email@example.com
- Interim Secretary: Ivelisse Rosado - firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, concerns or suggestions can also be directed to bpcommunitycouncil@boysprep.
Named after the pioneering co-founder of Sesame Workshop, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program provides a distinctive educational experience within a playfully rich and cognitively demanding learning environment. The Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Program builds upon the research from the federally-funded Ready to Learn initiative from 2005-2010, which measured the impact of educational programming, including Sesame Street episodes, on children's science and literacy skills by demonstrating the effect of media targeted at socio-emotional development.
PrePrep is a co-ed program for 4-year-olds that launched in 2014. There is a PrePrep program hosted at Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School, and Boys Prep will establish a PrePrep program starting in the 2018-19 school year. PrePrep scholars automatically matriculate into Girls Prep Bronx or Boys Prep Bronx Elementary Schools for kindergarten.
See our feature on NPR below:
The Pre-K curriculum fulfills and surpasses the requirements of New York State’s Pre-School Foundations for the Common Core (“PKFCC”). Students benefit from a curriculum that offers the right balance of joyful play, curiosity, and self-control, while also placing equal emphasis on character development (such as resiliency, optimism, determination, and gratitude), college awareness, and cognitive rigor across academic disciplines.
PURPOSE OF CONTENT-RICH MATERIAL IN PRESCHOOL:
- increase vocabulary
- enhance background knowledge to promote deeper learning
- accelerate children’s grasp of language and numeracy
- cultivate habits of mind conducive to inquisitive learning and successful social interaction.
Unique program elements:
- The program includes curated content from Sesame Workshop’s vast media library that uses engaging characters to develop critical behaviors like self-regulation. This includes, for example, the new Cookie Monster series of videos that help children learn the behavioral strategies necessary to manage emotions, navigate friendships, cope with stressful situations and improve executive function tasks, such as impulse control, working memory, focusing and shifting attention.
- In its first year, we received support from an executive at Sesame Workshop to identify new ways to use children’s media to enhance learning in the classroom, engage families in creating a rich literacy environment at home, and provide early childhood Professional Development for faculty.
THE FUTURE HOME OF BOYS PREP BRONX: 2018-2019
After three years of being "co-located" in shared and inadequate public space, Boys Prep Bronx won a landmark legal decision that guarantees permanent public funding for private facilities. As a result, Boys Prep Bronx is now creating its own 80,000-square-foot building in the heart of the South Bronx, which will be the first and only all-boys PreK-8 public school in the Bronx and serving nearly 1,000 scholars at capacity.
The new home of Boys Prep will open in the 2018-2019 school year to serve PrePrep-5th grade, and will grow a grade each year until it reaches capacity at 8th grade. The future building is located at 192 East 151st Street, convenient from the 2, 4, and 5 trains!