SCHOOL FAST FACTS
- School Contact Information
- School Hours
- Grades Served
- After School Programming
- Community Council
- Learning Support Coordinator
Girls Prep LES Elementary School partners with Roads to Success to provide optional after school programming from 3:45-6:00 PM Monday through Friday, and accommodates early dismissal on Wednesdays. The program offers drama, ballet, and visual and environmental arts. For more information or to enroll a student, please contact:
- Site Director: Angelique Sherwood
- Email: GirlsPrep@roadstosuccess.org
- White Polo (with Girls Prep logo), navy cardigan/fleece (plain or with the logo)
- Navy jumper with logo (navy pants may be worn under the jumper). Leggings (any color) or navy blue shorts under their jumper or skirt.
- All black, brown or navy blue Mary Jane with ankle strap, or black or navy sneakers.
- Socks or stockings must be worn every day (any color).
Note: Students may wear boots to school, however, they must change into the appropriate footwear once they are in school. All scholars must wear a Girls Prep uniform every day. To find store locations and order online visit www.flynnohara.com.
- White polo or white oxford shirt with optional navy cardigan/fleece (all shirts must have Girls Prep logo)
- Navy skort with logo, navy kilt with logo, or navy blue pants (can be from any store/brand).
- All black or navy blue Mary Jane with ankle strap, or black or navy sneakers.
- Socks or stockings must be worn every day (any color).
- Light-up sneakers, high heels, wheels, added accessories to shoe laces, and sneakers that go higher than the ankle are prohibited
Note: Students may wear boots to school due to weather however, they must change into the appropriate footwear once they are in school. All scholars must wear a Girls Prep uniform every day. To find store locations and order online visit www.flynnohara.com.
The Community Council is a vibrant family-run organization that exists to give families and staff a unified voice in the school. All families are members of the Community Council and are expected to volunteer for at least two hours during the school year. Community Council officer elections will be held at the beginning of the next school year.
If you have questions about participating in Community Council please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WELCOME FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Dear Girls Prep families,
Welcome to Girls Prep! I am thrilled to be leading the flagship (K-4) campus of the first tuition-free, all-girls public charter school in New York City alongside Jessica Strong, Principal of Girls Prep Middle School. When I began working at Girls Prep in 2011, I was drawn to its mission to provide a high-quality education to girls to support their success on the path to and through college. I have been consistently impressed by the level of commitment shown by our students, families, and staff to create strong educational outcomes for our scholars.
This year we are celebrating 13 years of providing a unique and exciting educational choice to our students and families. Girls Prep scholars consistently demonstrate our 4 core values of merit, scholarship, sisterhood, and responsibility both in and out of school. Girls Prep scholars are consistently included in leadership programs that place students into private schools such as TEAK, Prep for Prep, and A Better Chance. Recently, 2018 marked the 6th consecutive year that 100% of the Girls Prep graduating 8th grade scholars were accepted into “right-fit”, high quality high schools who will continue to support their path to and through college. In 2018, 96% of our 4th grade students scored a Level 3 or higher on the New York State Science test.
As you walk through our school building, you will notice that our classrooms are named after famous women such as Brenda Berkman, Billie Jean King, and Mae Jemison. These women serve as influential role models to our students. Our faculty is committed to providing a rigorous, holistic education that includes reading, writing, social studies, math, and science as well as social-emotional learning, the arts, and fitness. Our program includes:
- Dedicated Math and ELA teachers in Grade 4
- Daily Science classes taught by dedicated Science teachers in Grades 2-4
- Daily small group instruction to support the needs of all students
- On-site after school program in partnership with Roads to Success
- Chess in Schools program in Grades 3-4
- A daily recess that provides our students with opportunity for physical activity and play
- A daily Morning Meeting to create a strong, positive culture in classrooms
- Unity Meetings to celebrate student achievement and support our culture
- Partnerships with programs such as Leave It Better, the Bubble Foundation, and the National Dance Institute
I am also pleased to introduce our School Leadership Team members who will serve as leaders in ensuring your daughter’s success. As Upper School Director, Ms. Katrina Liebst will support teachers, students, and staff in Grades 3-4 and as Lower School Academic Director, Ms. Amanda Majeed, will support teachers, students and staff in Grades K-2 primarily in areas of curriculum and instruction. Ms. Kamilah Pascal serves as the Dean of Culture who works to maintain a positive school culture through Unity Meetings, student behavioral systems, and classroom management. Our Director of Operations, Mr. Mahmoud Fleary, oversees our school’s operational systems such as finance, compliance, and day-to-day operations.
Girls Prep Lower East Side is part of Public Prep, the nation’s only non-profit network that exclusively develops exceptional, tuition-free PreK and single-sex elementary and middle public schools. We are determined to graduate 8th grade scholars who thrive in “right-fit,” high-performing public, private, or parochial high schools, and ultimately earn a degree from a four-year college or university.
I invite you to explore our website and contact us to learn more about our school community.
- If you’re interested in enrolling your daughter in our school, please visit our enroll page.
- If you’re interested in working at our school, please visit our careers page.
- See our school's fast facts.
Thank you for your interest in Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary School!