Our unique approach places equal emphasis on character development, college knowledge, and academic excellence through an integrated curriculum to ensure all of our students are on a path to our North Star to College Completion and beyond. Our schools establish a culture of joy weaved in with the expectation of learning and critical thinking. Scholars are recognized for academic achievement in equal measures to their representation of our core values. Public Prep is comprised of 3 tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across 5 campuses that are open enrollment and can only be entered via a random lottery:
Girls Prep Lower East Side, Girls Prep Bronx, Boys Prep Bronx.
Speaking from experience, these are not just regular schools. The teachers that work at the schools really show a lot of dedication to your child’s education. They support your kids. They even have college funds where you can actually save up for your child’s college and you can put as little as a dollar. My child's attitude and vocabulary changed so much going to Girls Prep.
-Public Prep Parent
NORTH STAR TO COLLEGE COMPLETION
Public Prep has defined its North Star to College Completion as its organizational framework to regularly measure progress; a standard that is superior to, and inclusive of, any district, city, state, or national standard.
- Character Development
- College Knowledge
- Academic Achievement
- Organizational Stability & Staff Engagement
- Family & Scholar Satisfaction
Since our inception, Public Prep has prioritized cultivating what is now popularly called a “growth mindset” within our students. Character Development builds character-based strengths such as resilience, determination, initiative, perseverance, gratitude, empathy, and optimism to help our scholars overcome the inevitable hurdles encountered in life.
- Core Values: Public Prep scholars and staff members are guided by our four core values of Community (Brotherhood and Sisterhood), Scholarship, Responsibility, and Merit. Schools recognize scholars who demonstrate our core values and community expectations by naming them Big Brother/Big Sister of the Week, and celebrating them at bi-weekly unity meetings.
- Namesakes: Each classroom is named after inspirational individuals who scholars identify with, look up to, and study throughout the year. Our Namesakes wear many hats and many are known for accomplishments across sectors.
Public Prep’s commitment to college graduation for every scholar goes beyond a caring, supportive school environment and rigorous academic preparation; our network of schools is preparing scholars, starting in PreK, with the skills and knowledge they must harness along the path to college completion. Learn more about our College Completion Initiative here.
Academic Achievement comprises the cognitive abilities and content knowledge students develop across disciplines, including science, the arts, music, math, foreign language, and other courses of study that help them become well-rounded, educated, and culturally literate citizens. See our curriculum approach here.
Beyond students, Organizational Stability & Staff Engagement is another integral component of reaching the North Star to College Completion, including critical measures such as retention of quality staff and financial self-sustainability. Increasing the career longevity of school leadership and faculty who effectively improve adult and student learning is critical to the future of all Public Prep schools and our scholars.
Public Prep Academies believe that strong, regular and respectful communication with parents and guardians is critical to our schools’ short- and long-term success. This connection begins and is reinforced through annual home visits, weekly newsletters, family events, family-teacher conferences and through our active Community Councils.
- Community Council: The Community Council (CC) is an association run by the families of Public Prep students, and is intended to support the school to meet the educational and social needs of the students. The CC, via their executive board, provides feedback and direction to the school leadership team on how to best serve the students.
- Family Newsletters (Blossom and Tangram): The weekly Blossom or Tangram newsletter provides a platform for our schools to share upcoming events, celebrate school successes, and share resources.
- Home Visits: The purpose of a home visit is to strengthen the family-school partnership, ensure that proper supports are in place for the family and the student, review school systems and expectations, and hear from families and the student about anything important they want to share.
Public Prep Network is committed to reach students and help them grow emotionally and academically.
-Public Prep Parent
At Public Prep, Girls Prep and Boys Prep scholars are challenged to think and work hard every day.
We start early with the end of college completion in mind. We create a warm and joyful culture of rigor in which scholars build strong character by adopting the core values of community, merit, responsibility, and scholarship. Our scholars master the ability to read, write, listen, speak, create, and think deeply across disciplines, with a particular focus on science, the arts, and math. They work independently and in teams to solve problems collaboratively.
Girls Prep or Boys Prep alumni will be resilient young scholars of bold intellect. They will be empathetic leaders, knowledgeable and curious about the world. They will be goal-oriented decision-makers empowered to make choices that will lead to life success.
Public Prep is the nation’s first non-profit network that exclusively develops exceptional, tuition-free PreK and single-sex elementary and middle public schools. We are determined to graduate 8th grade scholars who thrive in “right-fit,” high-performing public, private, or parochial high schools, and ultimately earn a degree, on-time, from a four-year college or university.